Now is the time of year that you are going to be getting more use out of your heater. As temperatures drop, you deserve to be able to enjoy a fully functioning system that you thank your lucky stars for on a cold day. But what if there was a little more you could do to ensure you stay comfortable?
As a local HVAC company in Columbus, OH we want you to know we are here to help keep your HVAC system running well so you can remain comfortable. That’s why we provide the repairs and other services that we do. However, we also want you to feel equipped to do everything possible to keep your HVAC system running optimally for the maximum amount of time. Let’s take a look at how you can do that.
5 Ways Your Can Help Your HVAC System Run Right
There is more than one best practice to incorporate into your regular routine that your HVAC system will thank you for. Here are five great ways to give your system a helping hand.
- Keep the cold air out by keeping the windows closed. We all enjoy a breath of fresh air now and again. However, the cold air outside of your home is going to make the task of keeping things warm much harder for your heater. Try to avoid cracking windows and doors this season if you can.
- Check for, and address, any air leaks. Speaking of the air outside getting into your house, make sure to check for air leaks around the house. The windows and doors around the house may have opening where cold air leaks in and warm air escapes. If you find any air leaks, make sure to address them using caulk or weatherstripping to avoid the loss of your hard-earned hot air.
- Discuss a reasonable temperature setting. Everyone has their preferences for what number they’d like to see on the thermostat. However, there is an ideal range that you can use for your thermostat this season to optimize your energy efficiency without completely abandoning your comfort. Try to keep your thermostat topped off at 68-degrees, and set it lower when everyone is asleep.
- Make sure to check and change, or clean, your HVAC air filter. Your system air filter plays an important role in keeping your system’s internal mechanisms safe from dust and debris. Make sure to check this filter every one to three months depending on your use of your heater and your indoor air quality. If you have a disposable filter, simply switch it out with a new one. If you have a reusable type of filter, make sureto follow the instruction to clean it off before putting it back in place.
- Keep the space around your unit clean and clear. If you have a furnace heater or boiler, make sure the keep the area around the system clean and clear. These systems should have up to two feet of clear space around them to prevent fire risks. If you have a heat pump, make sure to keep the condensor clear of debris too.
When something goes wrong with your heater, you can rely on us to help get things running again.
The service guys in the purple trucks are here to help. Contact Paramount Heating & Air to get your HVAC services schedule or your questions answered.